There are many benefits to friendships, including sharing recipes. This one comes from my dear friend Liz in Brooklyn. My soul sistah, roommate of nearly eight years, and partner in many-a-crime, now lives halfway across the country from me and so we bond over food. Oh wait, that’s nothing new. Now with 1,500 miles between us, shared meals consist of pictures via text, occasional FaceTime dinner dates (my fave) and of course, recipes exchanged via email. I know there are better ways to do this like on Pinterest or what have you, but email ends up being the easiest and so I file received recipes in my virtual folders and pray I remember to refer to them when in need.
Liz signed up for a CSA this season so she has the pleasure/obligation of cooking whatever goodies end up in her bounty. This calls for on-the-spot creativity in the kitchen. She has always been quite good at pulling together seemingly random ingredients to make a delicious concoction. Remaining true to form, this week’s recipe is dedicated to Liz and her kitchen creativity. May the recipes never cease to pass from one friend to the next.
Zucchini Ribbons with Chickpeas, Almonds and Basil
- 2 zucchini cut into ribbons (using vegetable peeler or a mandolin)
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup of almonds chopped and browned in a skilled with olive oil, wait to add to salad until they cool
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic thrown in with the almonds as they begin to brown
- 1.5 cans (20 oz) of chic peas sautteed with olive oil and lemon, wait to add to salad until they cool
- handful of basil leaves chopped thin (chiffonade)
- juice of a large lemon, whisked with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and sea salt to taste
- 1/3 cup of grated parmesan